COVID-19 and Thyroid Diseases
How the Pandemic Situation Affects Thyroid Disease Patients?
Patients with thyroid diseases need special attention during this COVID-19 pandemic. There is a paucity of publications that review the effect of coronavirus infection on thyroid disease patients, such as those with hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid nodules and cancer. This article aims to collect reviews and statements about how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected the management of thyroid disease patients.
2. Liu K, Chen Y, Lin R, Han K. Clinical features of COVID-19 in elderly patients: A comparison with young and middle-aged patients. J Infect. 2020;80(6):14‐8.
3. Jing Y, Ya Z, Xi G, Ke P, Zhaofeng C, Qinghong G. et al. Prevalence of comorbidities and its effects in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Infect Dis. 2020;94:91-5.
4. British Thyroid Foundation. Thyroid Disease and Coronavirus (Covid 19). Issued March 5th 2020 (Updated May 4th 2020). www.btf-thyroid.org
5. Vanderpump MPJ. Epidemiology of thyroid disorders. In: Luster M., Duntas L., Wartofsky L. (eds) The Thyroid and Its Diseases. Springer, Cham, 2019:p75-85.
6. Pal R, Banerjee M. Covid-19 and the endocrine system: exploring the unexplored. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020:1-5.
7. Wei L, Sun S, Xu C, Zhang J, Xu Y, Zhu H, et al. Pathology of the thyroid in severe acute respiratory syndrome. Hum Pathol. 2007;38:95-102.
8. Desailloud R, Hober D. Viruses and thyroditis: an update. Virol J. 2009;6(5):1-14.
9. American Thyroid Association. Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) and the Thyroid. www.thyroid.org
10. European Thyroid Association. Covid-19: Information and Recommendations for Patients with Thyroid Diseases. ETA Public Health Board Statement. www.eurothyroid.org
11. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. AACE Position Statement: Coronavirus (Covid-19) and People with Thyroid Disease. www.aace.com
12. Baharoon SA. H1N1 infection-induced thyroid storm. Ann Thorac Med. 2010;5(2):110-2.
13. Vigliar E, Iaccarino A, Bruzzese D, Malapelle U, Bellevicine C, Troncone G. Cytology in the time of coronavirus disease (Covid-19): an Italian perspective. J Clin Pathol. 2020;0:1-3.
14. Hardi F, Shinto R, Putra AC, Fahmi M, Wiyono WH, Pramono LA, et al. Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) service in Saint Carolus Hospital. Updated April 29th 2020. Saint Carolus Hospital, Jakarta, Indonesia.
Copyright (c) 2020 Laurentius Aswin Pramono
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Journal of the ASEAN Federation of Endocrine Societies is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International. (full license at this link: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/legalcode).
To obtain permission to translate/reproduce or download articles or use images FOR COMMERCIAL REUSE/BUSINESS PURPOSES from the Journal of the ASEAN Federation of Endocrine Societies, kindly fill in the Permission Request for Use of Copyrighted Material and return as PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
A written agreement shall be emailed to the requester should permission be granted.