- Upon receipt of the manuscript, the Editor shall review the submission, check if it has met aforementioned criteria and consult with members of the Editorial Board to decide whether it shall be considered for publication or not.
- Within one (1) week of submission, authors shall be notified through e-mail that their manuscript either (a) has been sent to referees for peer-review or (b) has been declined without review.
- The JAFES implements a strict double blind peer review policy. Each manuscript is referred to two (2) peer reviewers who are deemed as subject experts. A third reviewer may be needed in case there is discordance in the peer reviewer recommendation. The manuscript is routinely referred to the JAFES in-house statistician to check appropriateness and validity of data analysis and conclusions. In addition, the manuscript is also referred to the JAFES in-house radiologist or pathologist for review if there are diagnostic imaging studies or microscopic images, respectively. The JAFES Editor-in-Chief makes the final decision.
- For manuscripts that are reviewed, authors can expect an initial decision within forty five (45) days after submission. There may be instances when decisions can take longer than 45 days, in such cases, the editorial assistant shall inform the authors. The editorial decision for such manuscripts shall be one of the following:
- acceptance without further revision,
- acceptance with minor revisions, or
- major manuscript revision and resubmission
- not accepted for publication
- Accepted manuscripts are subject to editorial modifications to bring them in conformity with the style of the journal.